Monday, July 15, 2013

I WILL DO THIS.


Stiff.  Sore.  Tired.  I wish I lived in a one-story house, because stairs hurt.  On the other hand, I am mentally walking through my day wondering when I'll get in a swim or a bike.

Yesterday, I finished the Boulder Peak Triathlon, one of the toughest races in the country.  I celebrated my Personal Record for an Olympic distance for maybe two hours before I logged on to my brother's computer.  I just did not want to wait until I got home to register for Ironman Boulder in 2014.

As I sat at the computer filling out the registration form, I simultaneously thought, "this will be so cool," while yelling out loud, "what on earth am I doing!?!?" I finally clicked the submit button, then sat back in wonder.  What will the next year look like?  How am I going to do this?

Of course the most obvious question from anyone who knows me is, "WHY?"  To be honest, I wish I had a good answer!  Is this mid-life crisis?  Do I need to prove myself to someone, anyone, or everyone?  Do I just need a hobby?  Is it because I can?  Do I want to "brag for the rest of my life?" Truly, I do not know.  As I start on this journey, I hope to come up with the answer.  Right now, I just want to.

The 2013 training season is not yet complete.  I still have to finish a half-Ironman.

I hope you come with me on this journey.  Triathlon, like any endurance event can get very lonely, and although you won't be out there with me in body, knowing you are out there in spirit makes it special.  Through all of it: the training sessions, miles, roads, soreness, bottles of Advil and Gatorade, endless amounts of GU, ClifShots and Stinger Waffles, all the way to the finish line when Mike Rielly will say...


No comments:

Post a Comment