Tuesday, June 30, 2015

MY SUPPORT CREW

Behind every athlete is a team of people cheering them on.

I have such a team.  Some of them have t-shirts, some ring cowbells, and some hand out water and ice.  I want to dedicate this post to those of you who have tirelessly supported me on this journey.  You were there when I withdrew from Ironman Boulder, letting me cry and talk it out.  You were there when I crossed the finish line in Coeur d'Alene.  You were there for everything in between.  Whether you thought I was crazy, or stupid, or driven, or committed, thank you to all who followed me, prayed for me, and encouraged me along the way.  Without you, none of it has meaning.  It means the world that I can share my experience with you.

I will post a race recap in a few days...I'm still reeling from such a huge experience.

So, I'd never heard of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho until I started following the Ironman circuit.  This idyllic town of 44,000 or so is a resort destination for so many water sports, outdoor enthusiasts, and of course, triathletes.  It is picturesque and quiet until 3000 athletes and their companions descend upon it.  Imagine Estes Park or Lake Geneva, and you have a good idea of what it looks and feels like.  However, I'm still not sure WHERE exactly it is.  It could be the post-race fog I'm in, but it just seems like it's a world away from anywhere.  I think it's in Northern Idaho...about 45 minutes from Spokane, but that doesn't help me much either.

So in this quiet and quaint town, live AVID Ironman supporters.  If they are not volunteering for the event, they are out on the streets and highways cheering on complete strangers from their front lawns and driveways.  I can't tell you how many people had their sprinklers on and pointing into the streets. Many took their garden hoses and doused runners as they came by.  Some had fun music playing from their home sound systems loud enough to get us pumped up.  There was even a local band at one of the aid stations.  Given the heat out on the bike course, some folks were out there all day standing by the side of the road cheering us on...it was hard enough for the athletes out there, but these folks were HARD CORE!  Others would load up their cars and drive up and down the highway honking their horns and ringing cowbells out the window as we slogged our way up each and every hill.  So to the people of Coeur d'Alene, I say thank you for sharing your town with us, for your hospitality, and for your gracious support of so many people you have never met.  I've never felt more welcome anywhere.

As if the residents were not enough, then you have the volunteers.  Many of these people are locals, but many more are athlete supporters who don't want to sit around and wait for something to happen all day.  In spite of the previous paragraph, triathlon is not much of a spectator sport ("Here she comes....and there she goes...wanna go get lunch?).  Simply put, an event of this size does not happen without an army of people to make sure the athletes get through the day.  Here is what the athlete sees: kayakers and paddle boarders guiding the swimmers through, transition help ranging from wetsuit strippers to sunscreen smearers to someone who quite literally helped me hook my bra, because I couldn't after swimming for 2.4 miles.  Bike Aid stations.  Run Aid stations.  The guy on the motorcycle who sat with me while I recovered from the early signs of heat exhaustion.  The ladies in the sag wagon who gave me ice cold water -- I think it's because of these last folks that I figured out the secret to finishing.  The CDA tri team who was out there shoving ice in places I didn't know you could shove ice.  They ran behind me so I wouldn't stop!  The bike aid station guys who took running starts to hand water bottles to cyclists at 10 miles an hour!  The finish line support that included someone to take of my timing chip so I didn't have to lean over and pass out.  The police, fire, and rescue crews!  Nuff said on that.  The kids who sacrificed their voices and perhaps some of their dignity running after me with my special needs bags, water and bananas.  Every time I race, I declare a "Hug a volunteer day."  Many are surprised by this, but all welcome it...until later in the race when who knows what I smell like.  This is just what the athlete sees, and it barely scratches the surface.  I could truly spend an entire post on how awesome these people are...

Social media is full of support.  The page titled, "You know you're an Ironman when..." is mostly funny insights on the weirdness of this tribe.  For example, you know you're an Ironman when: 6:00am is sleeping in; a two and a half hour bike ride is considered "recovery"; you just had lunch an hour ago, but you are starving again.  Most of these funny ones are kind of my quote of the day calendar.  They make me smile, motivate me, or otherwise remind me I'm not alone.  The Coeur d'Alene Facebook page is more specific to this years race, and really helped me through training.  By following this group, I got insight on the course, the water, the roads, and just had support through the hardest part.  One person in particular, Jim, was hilarious.  His sense of humor through the rough times got me to the other side.  Many others offered us first-timers advice (when we asked for it), and props when we needed it.  Unfortunately, many of my favorite people from this page DNF'd, and my heart just breaks for them.

Now, it seems strange to be grateful for someone who was just doing what I paid him lots of money to do, but Coach Kirk Blackmon really did help me through this.  Every athlete knows what works best for them.  Asking advice from ten different triathletes will yield ten different answers.  While sometimes this is valuable, other times its just overwhelming.  Captain Kirk helped me sift through all of this to help me find the right solutions for me.  When I got frustrated before spring break and before taper, he reassured me I was in the right frame of mind.  It means I was actually working hard enough to be ready for my day.  Kirk did not give me a one size fits all plan.  He paid special attention to the fact that I am a very strong swimmer, and weak cyclist, and an average to slow runner.  My plan was based on mileage not hours...something rare in triathlon plans.  Coach kept me going when I hated to do it.  Being accountable to someone makes a big difference.

My "fans" are all of you reading this right now.  If you cheered for me, prayed for me, "liked" a post or otherwise supported me, thank you.  It's funny, but there were a couple of times when it got tough and when I thought of all of you rooting me on, I kept me going.  So thank you for the prayers and the kudos.  I never went into this looking to impress anyone, so if I ever came off as sounding arrogant, I apologize.  You have all been so supportive, even if you couldn't wrap your head around why someone so seemingly normal would do such a crazy thing.  I am so grateful to you for every bit of encouragement.

Then there are those of you who went above and beyond.  Julie, you rode with me up Lookout and several other times since.  You ran with me and chatted, keeping my mind off the crazy fast pace. Jim, thank you in hindsight for planning that route.  I wasn't happy at the time, but after Sunday, I've had a change of heart.  My brother Chris has been to several races, and even rescued me from my own horrible navigation skills...I might have made it to the Kansas border if it hadn't been for you...

Mark, if it weren't for you, I may not have done an Ironman at all.  It wasn't something I would have ever put on my radar.  Thank you for opening that door.  Thank you also for talking me in off of so many ledges as I had bad training days, I freaked out about race day, and offering advice when I asked for it.  I simply would not have done it without you.

To my wonderful man, Dave.  You sat next to me as I committed to the race.  You let me cry when I got overwhelmed, you encouraged me from start to finish, you even bragged about me.  You played with Soren when I need to get in a big workout.  You were right there when I crossed the finish line.  From beginning to end of this phase in my journey, you were with me every step of the way.  Some have said about Ironman athletes, "if you are still in a healthy relationship, you didn't train hard enough."  I wholeheartedly disagree.  If you are still in a healthy relationship after an Ironman, never, EVER let them go.  I COULD not have done this without you.

To my awesome boy, Soren.  I needed to train for an Ironman just to keep up with you!  You inspire me to want to be around for a long time.  As the Captain of my Support Crew, you led the way to 140.6.  You have me back now, kiddo.  Thank you for being so patient with me when I was so tired and cranky and sore.  I love you to the moon and back, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment