Friday, June 26, 2015

QUE SERA, SERA

Taper is over.  I have reclaimed Gary from transit, and I am sitting in a hotel a couple of miles from the Athlete Village.  With a cup of bad hotel coffeepot java, my head is swirling.

It's all over but the shouting.  The weather report for Sunday includes a heat index of 108.  You read that right.  Depending on what websites you look at, the range is from 102 to 108.  Ugh.

This season, I have not had much of a chance to train in hot weather like this, or even close to it for that matter.  The warmest bike ride I ever did was a pleasant 85, while the warmest run came in around 90.  We've had a cooler spring than normal, with snow coming well into May.  The hottest it's been in Denver is 95ish, and that coming only during the last few weeks of training, when the hard stuff was over anyway.  So training for race day conditions?  Lacking somewhat.

Racing in the heat of the day in the middle of summer is uncharted territory for me.  When I'm not training for an Ironman, I avoid the heat.  I hate running in the hot, so I run first thing in the morning during the summer.  If it's hot, Gary stays on the trainer.  I do a lot of swimming.  This time though, I don't have a choice, and I don't quite know how to handle it.  Everyone and their hairdresser has opinions on how to beat the heat, but the general consensus is, "don't try anything new on race day!!" Ok, by that logic, then I shouldn't be racing, because 108 will be very new for me.  Very new indeed.  I shouldn't try salt tabs, that will keep my fluid and electrolytes in check.  I should try the new are coolers I found, because I never trained with them...I'll have you know I'm going to do whatever I can to stay cool!

The CDA Facebook page has been abuzz with rumors of canceling, shortening or altering the race because of the heat.  Some of those rumors came true, some are still just that...rumors.  One thing that has changed for sure is the start time of the race.  As of right now, Officials have moved the race up one hour, so transition opens at 4:00 AM, and I'm in the water by 6:00.  This is fine, because I won't be sleeping anyway, but this really only benefits the pros, who will be finished before it gets really hot.  For folks like me however, one hour time difference still puts me on the run at the absolute worst time of the day.  It's not up to me, but moving the race up an hour seems a little pointless when you are talking triple digit temps.

Another bit of news that has come up just this morning is that race officials will wait until Saturday night to make the call on shortening the race.  See the full story here.  The thumbnail sketch: It's not just about the athletes.  It's about the volunteers, spectators, and (contrary to what some athletes think), life in general that is still going on outside of the race.  The idea of shortening the race has some athletes completely pissed off.  To them I say this.  Get. Over. Yourself.  Yes, we have all put countless hours and dollars into this sport, and yes, if they shorten the race we will all be a little disappointed and frustrated.  But frankly, it's not just about you.  Sorry, not sorry.  I'm not worried about the athletes in this heat.  I'm worried about my traveling companions/support crew, and the rest of the volunteers.  I plan on not only hugging volunteers, but emergency responders as well.  Yes, EMS will "just be doing their job," but that doesn't make them immune to the heat.

My take is this: It's completely out of my hands.  If they shorten the race, I will feel very complicated emotions, including (but not limited to) disappointment, frustration, relief, and then a sense of "well, what next."  But no matter what, I can't do anything about it, and complaining will not fix it.  I'll cry and laugh, but hopefully not complain.

The only thing I have no control over is the weather.  If I could, I would request a high of 70 degrees, partly cloudy.  Maybe 75, if there were afternoon showers (about 3:00, so after I'm off the bike).  I am not an evil scientist with a weather controlling death ray, therefore, I get what I get.

As of now, the race distance has not changed.  There are triathletes out there that will call BS on me when I say this.  I have no expectations on my finish time.  16:59:59 is my ideal.  My coach thinks sub-14.  I thought of sub-15 at minimum, but 13:30 as a lofty goal.  I have friends have their own ideas on how fast I will finish.  I'm not listening to any of it anymore, because only one problem needs to come up arises and those aggressive time goals are obliterated.  One flat tire will add 15 minutes (or more) to my time.  I will have to use the restroom (it's a long day, and I hope to stay hydrated).  The heat alone will push my run pace a full minute per mile slower at the very least.  I just want to finish.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm looking forward to running/staggering/crawling up the red carpet surrounded by locals screaming and cheering for complete strangers, and I will for a brief shining moment feel like a rock star, in every way imaginable...both positive and negative.  Positive, because of all the people screaming for me, and negative because I will feel like I was on an all night bender.

It could be 9:00 pm or 11:59.  I don't care.  Do I want to finish as fast as possible?  Of course I do.  But I also want to savor the day, enjoy myself, and close the book on this phase in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment